Are Poinsettias Poisonous?

Have you wanted to decorate your home for the holidays with poinsettias but didn’t because you heard they were poisonous? Turns out they’re not says Kansas State University Extension Horticulture Expert  Ward Upham…

“The truth is that they are not poisonous”

They do contain a sap that can make animals nauseous especially smaller ones like puppies and kittens and cause a reaction to those with latex allergies but nothing fatal.

Several studies have been done on the matter one from Ohio State University says Upham…

“They looked at how many leaves that a, for example 50 pound child would have to ingest in order to cause any discomfort at all.”

The answer is over 500 leaves to have any harmful effect. So feel free to poinsettia it up this season